Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day: The Boss

For the Mother of Special Forces...

I raised you, and loved you, I've given you weapons, taught you techniques, endowed you with knowledge. There's nothing more for me to give you. All that's left for you to take is my life.

I gave up my body and my child for my country.The Boss, the Joy, Voyevoda; Known by many names, she is one of the most maternal characters in gaming mythos. She can be considered the mother of two of Metal Gear's most central characters; She bore Ocelot on the battlefield via cessarian section (leaving an atrocious serpentine scar) at the Battle of Normandy, and also mentored and loved the most genetically perfect soldier ever born, and the man who would ultimately surpass her, Big Boss. One can infer that she was raising the son she never knew (or never knew she knew).

Look at this scar. This is proof that I was once a mother. I gave up my body and my child for my country. There is nothing left inside me now. Nothing at all. No hatred, not even regret. And yet sometimes at night I can still feel the pain creeping up inside me. Slithering through my body, like a snake.

Soldier, commander, astronaut, teacher, patriot. The part that seemed to anger her pupil Naked Snake the most was that no one would ever know that it was her mission to defect, a ploy to obtain the Philosopher's Legacy, the infathomably enormous war chest that the superpowers had hidden at the end of World War II. When Colonel Volgin used her offering, the mini-nuclear device Davey Crockett, plans changed. Snake was sent in again to rescue Sokolov, destroy the Shagohod, stop Volgin, eliminate the Cobra Unit, and kill The Boss.

And it was her mission to be killed, and to be remembered as a traitor to the country for which she sacrificed absolutely everything.

Jack... or should I say Snake... you're a wonderful man. Kill me now. There's only room for one snake and one boss.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

No comments: