Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tried and Treacherous

or Tappin' Yaki

My recent poetic outpouring was instigated by the subject of the second stanza, Super Mario Brothers' ultimate power up, the fire flower. My doting girlfriend Poptart recently got a Wii, and besides Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Keif's copy of Mario Party 6 (yeah, Snow Whirled), she/we thirsted for some of the irresistable Virtual Console offerings.

Using the Wii points card thoughtful Catarina had given her as a birthday gift (while we were out for teppanyaki, natch) we snagged Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Brothers, and Super Mario World. The NES classic is definitely one of her best games, and she is far superior to myself in this arena. (I still blame the damn Game Genie for retarding my 8-bit skills, Mega Man aside.)

Poptart not only is much better with timing and jumping than myself, her ability to get to Super Fire status and stay there is remarkable. This is what sparked my current fascination with the archetypal aerial projectile. By hanging back and bringing down the fiery rain upon hapless Spinies and Hammer Brothers, she was able to maintain her flower power for world after world.

Although I'm opening myself up to obscure pointings out, methinks SMB may be the first instance of a midair projectile. I concede that the aforementioned fireball is virtually the same whether launched from the ground or not, but its existence at such a developmental time for games really got my lobes humming. My other examples are actually quite distinct from typical shooting attacks, for this reason (trajectory) or that (anti-gravity effect), and I feel each one listed was rather unique in its unusual parameters and chronological placement.

Therefore, the Veggie Toss does not belong.

It has also become apparent to me that tapping A (the button) as quickly as possible must be a genetically determined trait that favors females. It stands to reason that a Y chromosome lowers the firing rate of synaptic impulses of nerves in the human hand. Such is the only logical explanation for the observation that the Mario Partiers I know with the highest demonstration of this skill are all women. Poptart, Keif, and Roach are so fundamentally beyond the competitive reach of myself and even Legoman (who is notorious in tapping A circles for his suggestive "hyper-slide" technique) that my syllogism is ironclad.

Now, if only I could get Poptart to channel this ferocity into Third Strike via Chun Li's Hyakuretsukyaku...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for Third Strike, do you really want your girlfriend to beat you at yet another game?

You're lucky to have a g/f to give you somewhat of a challenge when gaming together, even though it is just playing NES games. Next, you're going to tell me she's Asian. Gamer + hot Asian girl = Doesn't get any better than that.

Killa said...

So, will you like flip out if I mention that my Asian girlfriend was wearing my Shoryuken hoodie during the recent cold snap?